Adopting a pet is a big responsibility. Before you bring your pet home, you’ll need to make sure your home is in good shape.
Here are some items we recommend getting before bringing home a pet:
- Door gates—These can be used to keep a pet in a room or to keep a pet out of a room. Make sure you get one that is tall enough so your pet doesn’t jump over it.
- Child locks— These are especially useful for lower cabinets and drawers where pets are likely to get into.
- Trashcan—It’s important to have a trashcan that is not easy to get into. Pets can easily knock them over and get into things they are not supposed to. We think it’s best to not get a step-open trashcan because pets are also able to open them.
Looking for more? Here are some additional items to make your home safe for pets:
- Put away chargers after use— Any cords that are out are easy for pets to chew on. Not only is that dangerous for them, but they are expensive to replace.
- Store dangerous items out of reach—These items include dangerous kitchenware and chemicals. Be sure to immediately clean your pet’s paw to avoid infection or ingesting harmful contents.
- Keep clothes in safe spots—Most people keep clean clothes and shoes in drawers or closets, but don’t forget about laundry. Pets can play with any loose strings or buttons, which can be hazardous if swallowed.
Pet-proofing is an easy and effective way to keep your home clean and your pet out of danger. The time you spend on these steps before bringing your pet home will save a lot of stress later.