Due to the increase in COVID-19 cases and orders from the health department, we are not accepting or training new volunteers at this time. If you are interested in assisting us with tasks that can be handled remotely, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We appreciate your continued support and look forward to welcoming back volunteers soon.
Volunteers serve a vital role in helping the animals here at the Humane Society of Macomb. On average we help over 1,800 dogs and cats each year and without our dedicated volunteers, we would be unable to provide the next level enrichment these animals need and deserve. As a volunteer, you will provide exercise and enrichment for the animals that are needed for their health and well-being. This also assists in the process of them ﬁnding their forever homes.
- Must be 13 years of age or older
- If you are between 13-15 you must be accompanied by a parent/legal guardian who is also part of the volunteer program
- If you are under 18 you must have a waiver signed by a parent/legal guardian granting permission for you to serve as a volunteer
- All volunteers must have proof of a current tetanus vaccination (valid in the last 10 years)
- One weekly 2-hour shift, or at least 4 hours of service per month
- Minimum 4 month commitment
- Able to lift, bend and safely handle animals of all sizes, especially dogs over 40 lbs.
- Comfortable handling animals with unknown backgrounds as well as being exposed to animal allergens
- Must be comfortable working with and handling animals of varying temperaments
All volunteers must attend an orientation, as well as a hands-on training session before they can begin their service.
We do have opportunities available for individuals looking to fulfill court-ordered community service, as well. Please be sure to fill out the appropriate application.
If you have any questions about volunteering, don’t hesitate to reach out to our volunteer coordinator at 586.731-9210 x 210 or email us at email@example.com.
The Humane Society of Macomb is registered as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. The Humane Society of Macomb is independent and not associated with the Michigan Humane Society or any other Animal Welfare Organization.
Contributions to HSOM are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.
Our tax identification number is 38-6120195