UPDATE: The staff and animals are looking forward to seeing active volunteers back on site. For those volunteers that need training and new applicants, waiting to get started, we are looking forward to having you in our volunteer program.
Thank you for the amazing support and interest in our shelter. We could not do what we do for the animals in our care without people like you.
As of Wednesday, June 17, 2020, we resumed limited volunteer activities following CDC guidelines. Please refer to the e-mail/ Voicemail message sent on June 11th for further details and requirements. The new schedule is posted on the Volgistics portal. If you do not currently receive electronic newsletters we strongly suggest logging into your volunteer portal and adjusting settings to ensure you do not miss important correspondence. You can also view your messages through the mail tab on your volunteer account if you opt not to receive e-mails.
TRAINEES (those waiting for canine/feline shadowing)
We will notify you once we are able to offer hands-on training. Due to increased safety measures required by the CDC, we are reviewing training procedures in order to keep our animals, staff, and volunteers safe.
We have not forgotten about you and are happy to have you volunteer with us. Due to the stay-at-home order, we have a backlog of applications to review. Once your application has been reviewed you will be sent an email with a link to a virtual orientation. Upon completion of the orientation, you will be given further directives.
Volunteers serve a vital role in helping the animals here at the Humane Society of Macomb. On average we help over 1,800 dogs and cats each year and without our dedicated volunteers, we would be unable to provide the next level enrichment these animals need and deserve. As a volunteer, you will provide exercise and enrichment for the animals that are needed for their health and well-being. This also assists in the process of them ﬁnding their forever homes.
- Must be 13 years of age or older
- If you are between 13-15 you must be accompanied by a parent/legal guardian who is also part of the volunteer program
- If you are under 18 you must have a waiver signed by a parent/legal guardian granting permission for you to serve as a volunteer
- All volunteers must have proof of a current tetanus vaccination (valid in the last 10 years)
- One weekly 2-hour shift, or at least 4 hours of service per month
- Minimum 4 month commitment
- Able to lift, bend and safely handle animals of all sizes, especially dogs over 40 lbs.
- Comfortable handling animals with unknown backgrounds as well as being exposed to animal allergens
- Must be comfortable working with and handling animals of varying temperaments
All volunteers must attend an orientation, as well as a hands-on training session before they can begin their service.
We do have opportunities available for individuals looking to fulfill court-ordered community service, as well. Please be sure to fill out the appropriate application.
If you have any questions about volunteering, don’t hesitate to reach out to our volunteer coordinator at 586.731-9210 x 210 or email us at email@example.com.
The Humane Society of Macomb is registered as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. The Humane Society of Macomb is independent and not associated with the Michigan Humane Society or any other Animal Welfare Organization.
Contributions to HSOM are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.
Our tax identification number is 38-6120195